Active Senior Communities

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Among the many housing choices for adults one category known as Active Senior Communities. They are an increasingly popular choice for a society that is living longer and retains more vitality than ever before. Sometimes called Active Adult Communities or Active Adult Retirement Communities, these real estate developments are an ideal choice for seniors who might want a change from a traditional multi-generational setting.

This emerging category is putting a whole new spin on what many used to expect of a retirement community. While the more traditional categories of senior housing continue to grow and develop, the Active Senior Community is taking off, particularly in or very near metropolitan areas.

What is an Active Senior Community?

Primarily, an active senior community is designed for those who are 55 and over. In most cases only one member of the household is required to be 55+, but there are also age-restricted communities where all residents are required to be 55+ or even 62+.

These communities are especially designed for older adults, but as the name implies, they include a variety of facilities and activities for those who wish to remain active in their new environment. Each apartment or home is typically on a single level so climbing stairs is never an issue, but otherwise the residences come in a wide variety of styles and sizes.

Active Senior Communities can consist of:

  • Single-family homes
  • Condominiums
  • Townhomes
  • Apartments

About 85% of these communities are in or near metropolitan areas, with the remaining 15%  in more rural settings. They also range from exclusive and luxurious to more modest and possibly even non-profit communities that are quite affordable.

Active senior communities are not all retirement communities

Even though many of these communities use the word “retirement” in their names, the majority of them have no restrictions on the resident’s employment status. In fact, as more in this age category are starting new businesses or launching new careers, it’s common for part-time and even full-time employed residents to be living among their retired neighbors.

These communities provide an environment for those who desire to live among other adults in the same phase of life and who also want to remain active. There are variety of choices and  it’s important to do your research to find the one that best fits your life-style.

Features of an Active Senior Community

Many of the larger active senior communities are large gated complexes in desirable suburban areas, while others are smaller condominium developments that blend right in with other nearby housing. What they have in common is a community center or clubhouse with facilities and activities that are physical, social, and educational.

Common physical activities include:

  • Golf
  • Tennis
  • Swimming
  • Fitness centers
  • Jogging
  • Bicycling
  • Dancing
  • Yoga
  • Aerobics

Common social and educational activities include:

  • Arts and crafts
  • Painting
  • Organized card games
  • Book clubs
  • Geneology
  • History
  • Movie nights
  • Clubs, social groups, and much more

Many residents, living in an Active Senior Community, find that the easy access to physical social and educational opportunities helps to:

  • increase balance, strength and coordination
  • enhance emotional well- being
  • maintain memory and mental acuity

Finding an Active Senior Community right for you

We invite you to visit www.SearchSeniorLiving.com, click on Independent Living Community or Retirement Community and let us do the search for you! Too, you are welcome to call us at : 877-243-8073.